Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: An american wondering what the BBC is?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    British Broardcasting Corporation.

    They spend all their money advertising themselves and making crap new channels that no one watches.

    Maybe I'm being harsh..

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't believe this posting. The BBC is known all over the world...

    It's like a Brit saying they haven't heard of NBC or CBS.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member pmweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2000
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey everyone,
    I notice sometimes the reference to the BBC and I was wondering why they are always talked about?

    Paul Mendoza

  4. #4
    Dale
    Guest Dale's Avatar

    Post

    They're a public broadcasting service that runs two major TV channels BBC1 and BBC2, a host of digital channels (BBC News 24, BBC Choice, BBC Knowledge, BBC World etc.) and a bunch of national and local radio stations. They are supported by a license fee which any owner of a TV has to pay. I think the closest thing you have top the Beeb in the states is PBS (I think!).

  5. #5
    Inactive Member shirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2000
    Posts
    274
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am Canadian... so this is my version.

    The BBC is similar to the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.). I don't think the BBC is anything like PBS. Basically because I think that PBS is CRAP... and the BBC can be pretty wicked. Then again I only watch the BBC for a month or two when I am over in Britain... so yah.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Xendar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just to set record straight. The BBC produces THE best television in the world. They have, and still do set the standard that other television channels aim to achieve. The BBC are unique in the fact that they are primarily funded by the licence fee. Many people don't agree with the licence fee, but I do. If the BBC had to put adverts on it's channels (like the very poor ITV) then the quality would most definetley suffer. The production standards and professionalism of the BBC is second to none.
    ITV has some of the most terrible television programmes I've ever seen. And because they need the adverts for funds, they have to bow to the advertisers every time. It doesn't matter how poor a program might be, if it gets the viewers, they have to show it so the adverts get seen.



    ------------------
    Mark Smith
    Neon Films - Low / No budget films in West Yorkshire
    www.neonfilms.freeserve.co.uk

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't want to start an argument but I have to say I totally disagree.

    The BBC is total horseshit.

    The only progs I watch are the few imports that they screen.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I live in Los Angeles, and my family has sattelite so we get BBC, only it's called BBCA (BBC America). And they show stuff that the english one shows. I only watched it a couple of times, I saw some guy named Jooles Holland and a show called "ONe Foot in the Grave". But it doesn't look like it has much to offer as a tv station.

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thats what I thought.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Most TV sucks donkeys.

    Lowest common denominator pap. IMHO the best thing for ages was The Adam and Joe Show, loved the toy movies!!

    If we're not careful, cinema will end up (or has ended up) the same way.

    Go make your own content, people!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •